What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a chronic, long-term disease that results in reddened skin and pimples, common on the face. It is an inflammatory skin condition that may worsen over time without treatment. It is more common among fair-skinned people, and comes in four types:
- Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea is characterized by visible blood vessels, redness, and flushing
- Papulopustular rosacea features redness, swelling, and acne-like breakouts
- Phymatous rosacea involves thickening of the skin with a bumpy texture
- Ocular rosacea results in irritation and redness of the eyes and eyelids, resembling a sty.
Although there is no dominant known cause of rosacea, there is evidence to support that several factors increase the risk of developing it. For one, dermatologists have suggested that abnormalities in facial blood vessels can lead to redness, vessel visibility, and flushing. Having a light skin color is also another risk factor for this disease. Furthermore, it has been discovered that patients with rosacea have much higher amounts of microscopic mites on their skin than patients without rosacea do. Known as demodex folliculorum, these mites are harmless and live on human skin. However, there is a positive correlation between the number of mites present on the face and the presence of rosacea. Scientists have also suggested that the bacterium H. pylori, usually found in the gut, is also a factor in getting rosacea. This bacteria helps product bradykinin, which is a polypeptide that dilates blood vessels, possibly leading to this issue. In addition, there may be a biological link within rosacea; a large proportion of patients who have rosacea report having a close relative with it too.
How can you Recognize Rosacea?
Rosacea is commonly characterized by the following signs and symptoms:
- Inflammation (pimples, pustules, and pustules)- inflammatory rosacea can cause spots, pimples, and pus-filled bumps to form on the face. Unlike acne, however, the skin is not affected by blackheads.
- Constant redness- when hundreds of little blood vessels in the face dilate, redness that looks like a sunburn may appear. This comes after flushing episodes and appears to lasts for a long time.
- Inflammation and redness in the eyes- Bloodshot, burning eyes can affect those with ocular rosacea. The eyelids may even become swollen and squamous.
- Swelling in the face- fluid builds up in the facial skin due to the leaking of excess fluids and proteins from blood vessels and the lymphatic system’s inability to work effectively enough to expel the fluids.
- Rhinophyma (increased skin around the nose)- when rosacea worsens, patients may experience a thickening of the skin on their face, especially around the nose. This rare symptom can cause the nose to become larger, rounder, and fatter.
- Flushing, or easy blushing- flushing can last for minutes and cause discomfort and feelings of skin heating for those experiencing it.
- Inflamed blood vessels- blood vessels on the cheeks and nose tend to swell and become noticeable as rosacea worsens; skin may appear blotchy.
- Hyperactivity in facial skin- When skin is touched or in contact with other stimuli like sunlight, sensitive blood vessels dilate. This is similar to just having sensitive skin, but is not caused by sensitive skin cells; instead, it is a result of sensitive blood vessels.
Relief for Patients with Rosacea
LED Light Therapy - LED light therapy is a method of treatment and preventive effect on the human body by light and color. It uses natural light of different wavelengths, or colors, to emit healing and preventive properties on skin conditions. This treatment is completely safe, effective, and recommended by many doctors. Red light, with wavelengths between 620 nm and 700 nm, helps reduce itching, redness, and dryness associated with rosacea. It is one of the most widely used colors of LED when healing skin affected by rosacea and similar conditions. Visible red light can penetrate the skin up to 8-10 hours. After absorption, light energy becomes cellular energy and stimulates natural cellular processes and metabolic events. This leads to increased circulation and the birth of new capillaries, faster lymphatic activity, reduced inflammation, increased ATP for energy, increased collagen and fibroblast production, tissue stimulation, and more effective cellular clean up. It is indicated for patients with acne, eczema, psoriasis, cold sores, and most importantly- rosacea. This is a more optimal treatment for those who want to heal their skin with only completely natural remedies. Yellow light, with wavelengths between 570 nm and 590 nm, is also effective for milder forms of rosacea. This reduces the appearance of swelling, redness, and inflammation that is not too severe. The production of red blood cells is also triggered, helping to even pigmentation, increase lymphatic drainage, and stimulate blood circulation. When used in synergy with red light, yellow light can make red spots less noticeable, decrease the visibility of blood vessels, and soothe inflammation on the skin.
When asked which esthetic treatments are optimal for rosacea relief, Dr. David J Goldberg claimed “the “basic rule is yellow LED for mild redness, red LED for more inflamed rosacea, [and a] combination of red and near-infrared [light therapy] for inflammation and swelling.
IPL (Intense Pulse Light) is a technology that uses intense pulses of non-coherent light distributed over a range of wavelengths (generally in the range of 400 to 1200 nm) to target various chromophores (ex: blood chromophores or melanin chromophores). A broad spectrum of light is transmitted through an applicator. Cut-off filters selectively filter out lower wavelengths, especially potentially damaging ultraviolet light, and change the range of wavelengths to target specific chromophores. Chromophores absorb light and are heated until they destruct. This technology enables effective hair removal, photoaging treatment, and correction of vascular and pigmented lesions. For Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea, IPL is highly effective at creating controlled injuries to blood vessels in order to trigger the body into breaking down and removing damaged tissue. Thus, new cells are built and replace old, problematic cells. Over gradual treatment, about 3 to 6 times, facial redness, flushing, and blood vessel visibility significantly decrease and eventually vanish.
Now, let’s Explore Equipment for Rosacea Relief:
- One type of specific light source for clinical treatments
- Safe optical technology poses no risk of burning
- Allows for treatment of a large area in a short period of time
- No need for special care post-treatment
- No side effects and for all skin and hair types
- Easy to operate
- Comfortable, painless, non-invasive, without any downtime
- Allows for stable and continuous work
- Has a wide range of applications for beauty clinics and salons
- Touch screen control panel. Operating system of machine is designed for comfortable work of esthetician or doctor. An operator can select any function or adjust any parameter by simply moving around the wide and colorful touchscreen.
- 6 available treatments in 1 machine. Zemits can be used in holistic facial and body treatments according to the settings and filter that is used.
- Automatic settings. Zemits has different programs with automatic settings for all skin types. Depending on gender, skin color, hair color, hair density operator can choose automatic programs with proper settings of light radiation, duration and frequency of impulse. The program will recommend the proper filter for a particular treatment. A range of IPL and RF intensity also recommended by the program depending on selected skin type.
- Professional settings are available. In case of operator wants to change any settings professional settings are available. So operator can change any setting manually. Any settings can be modified to professional settings manually by the operator.
- Robust metal holder for a handpiece. Zemits has a really stable and strong holder for working handpiece. The holder is bottomless and has metal frame. The metal frame of holder is specifically shaped for easy, fast and convenient placement of the handpiece during procedure without damaging working surface. In addition, the handpiece can be easily placed in the holder with the inserted filter, so there is no need to take the filter off every time.
- Additional rubber overlay for handpiece connectors. Extra layer of rubber helps to prevent possible bending of the hose during the excessive use.
- Triple cooling system. Zemits device has an advanced cooling system. Continuous Crystal contact cooling (-4°C~4°C ) designed for patient’s comfort and double air cooling + closed water circulation cooling for long time continuous work of equipment.
- Set of 3 different filters. Zemits IPL machine has the set of 3 glass filters for a wide range of procedures:
- 640 nm- for hair removal and wrinkle treatment
- 530 nm- for skin rejuvenation and vascular treatment
- 430 nm- for acne treatment and pigmentation treatment
The set of filters comes with a protective plastic case for safe storage and transport.
9. The treatment is suitable for various skin and hair types.
Zemits has automatic programs for 5 skin types on the Fitzpatrick scale:
- Type I (scores 0–6) always burns, never tans (pale peach; blond or red hair; blue eyes; freckles).
- Type II (scores 7–13) usually burns, tans minimally (peach; fair; blond or red hair; blue, green, or hazel eyes);
- Type III (scores 14–20) sometimes mild burn, tans uniformly (light brown; fair; with any hair or eye color);
- Type IV (scores 21–27) burns minimally, always tans well (moderate brown);
- Type V (scores 28–34) very rarely burns, tans very easily (dark brown).
- Unique fancy design. The modern design of Zemits will fit perfectly your esthetician’s room or doctor’s office.